Monday, May 12, 2008

Pirate Station Party in Samara last week!!

So, Ok this was 2 weeks ago, but I was waiting to get all the professional photos together to show u the MIGHTYness of the gig! 

Last Thursday I flew over to Samara, in Russia - never been to the city before but I was told its one of the top 5 cities in size, and was number 2 for a while, after the war or something... Anyway, it was a great trip! Getting there was a mission, the only way to get there on a 'safe' airline is Lufthansa, so I left here about 5pm, flew to Frankfurt, then on to Samara - took about 8 hours all in, and you arrive at 5am local time - so it's pretty disorienting - and OH how I love Russian passport control in small airports! Thank God I got to the front of the queue fast so I was through super fast. Alas Mr. Limewax got stuck at the back so we had to wait for him anyway. I watched a couple of classic episodes of Seinfeld on the iphone in the back of the SUV outside - that place was freaky. SO many wierd people hanging around, and just behaving wierdly. Although this is coming from a guy with MY hair and wairing a gold jacket and the only one speaking English...

Was cool to catch up with Limewax - I hadn't hung out with him since a big party we both played at in Estonia a couple of years ago, that bizzarely got shut down because of a bomb-scare. The promoters and the people looking after us were really nice - took us for really good sushi (check out my huge Unagi roll thing below) took us to check out the river (everyone was out sunbathing and carrying massive jugs of beer you can just buy from the local brewery there) and then we zoomed over to the Radio Record studios to do an hours kinda interview show. I got in trouble for saying PIZDETZ on the radio! hahaha! Was fun though. Wierd though - one of the other DJs was chilling out eating cold pizza and drinking whisky out of plastic cups - at 4pm. We joined in.

As you'll see from the other pictures, the gig was HUUUUWARGEEEE. 3k people in there, with just me and Limewax headlining. Total RockStar bizniz. They did a special intro for us, kinda Manumission style - with dancers and all sorts, along with a custom made intro track, all Orchestral, choirs and mad lazers and fireworks going off. I thought that was gona be it, and then while I was playing they rolled out loads of models/strippers in bikinis, totally jiggling right in front of me on the catwalk - then they come off, then the A-team come on, TOPLESS. Nice. Rather distracting though, I had to concentrate on what I was doing and stare at the boobies less - and had to fight back to get the attention back from the ravers!! All the ravers had gone from taking photos of me and raving, to staring hypnotically at the boobies! So I put on my track 'Russian Girls', grabbed the radio mic and went out and joined them and did it as some kinda hybrid live PA. And got a semi-lap-dance into the bargain. Gotta be my wierdest/greatest Djing experience so far...

OH. And they had Hardy's Crest Chardonnay, one of my staples at home, so I was well happy. THat probably had something to do with the impromptu Kanye West moment....

Ok I sound like a twat. Here's the photos. Enjoy the building that looks like a penis. ;-)





No comments: